Cooperize the Family
Now that warmer weather is upon us, it’s time to get outside and get moving! Cooper Fitness Center offers multiple ways for children and families alike to enjoy the outdoors—and indoors—while having fun and exercising. Cooper Fitness Center Youth Programs Director Meredith Rosson answers your questions about activities for the entire family.
How can I get my kids Cooperized at Cooper Fitness Center? Our youth programs are based on the philosophy that no child is too young to learn the importance of caring for their health. Through our various classes and activities, we provide kids and teens with age-appropriate health and wellness tools in a fun, active, encouraging and enriching environment. Our goal is to help them achieve optimal health now and as they grow older and to educate them through experience and enjoyment.
- IGNITE! IGNITE! is for ages 8-12, and combines fitness, sports, movement and games to help improve athletic performance. The exercises and activities focus on agility, coordination, endurance, balance, speed, power and strength while promoting a healthy lifestyle and teaching the fundamentals of fitness.
- Cooperized Kidz Now your kids can work out whenever you do. Designed for ages 18 months through 12 years, Cooperized Kidz classes last 30 to 45 minutes and include everything from basketball to hip-hop. Your kids will have so much fun they won’t even know they’re exercising.
- Holiday, Spring Break and Summer Fit and Fun Camps Cooper Fitness Center camps are an excellent way for your children ages 5 to 12 to enjoy their school vacations. As a bonus, they also learn about the importance of good health and nutrition while having fun playing games and sports and making new friends.
- Sport Academies Whether your kids want to try a new sport or improve their skills in a sport they already enjoy, Cooper Fitness Center’s sports camps and academies offer training for all skill levels. Choose from basketball, swimming, tennis, martial arts, and much more.
What family activities are available at Cooper Fitness Center? Cooper Fitness Center offers a variety of fitness activities for families. Whether you are looking for a sport-specific lesson or general fitness classes, we offer it all for children and adults.
- Martial Arts
- Fitness Adherence Programs
- Run Proud 5K and Kiddie K completion as a family
- Parents are encouraged to participate in the Cooperized Kidz classes with their kids
- Annual nutrition lecture put on by Cooper Clinic nutrition department
What can families do at home for fitness fun? When you don’t feel like driving to the gym, there are plenty of ways to get fit at home.
- If it is way too hot to move around outside, try Kinect for Xbox 360. Your body is truly the remote control and you work up a sweat inside together as a family. The recommendation I make to families is to set guidelines and let kids know the Xbox 360 is only to be used with Kinect games—not the kind of video games that have them sit on the couch for hours on end.
- Go camping as a family. You can enjoy hiking, biking, swimming, cruising the river or lake on a paddle boat or canoe, and more. Everyone is sure to have a great time.
- Take a family bike ride to your favorite park. Pack a healthy picnic and have the kids help with healthy food options. Bring a Frisbee for some guaranteed laughs and calorie burner.
For more information on Cooper Fitness Center youth programs, contact Meredith Rosson at 972.233.4832 or visit cooperyouth.com.
Also check out our online collection of Health Tips for additional family and child fitness articles including In Your Corner: Family Fitness at Home This Summer.