Super Bowl: Three Snacks We Love on Game Day
Whether you’re a die-hard fan or you’re just tuning in for the commercials, your Super Bowl watching party will likely include some tasty treats. So we asked Meridan Zerner, MS, RD, CSSD, LD, and Kathy Duran-Thal, RD, for their favorite delicious and healthy Game Day snacks. And yes, it is possible.
“Hail Mary” Muffins
(also known as Savory Corn Bread Muffins)
- 1 1/3 cups white wheat flour
- 1 1/3 cups cornmeal
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 cut up turkey sausage patties
- 2-3 cut up slices of turkey bacon
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In another bowl, combine, water, egg substitute and applesauce; mix well. Stir in dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill muffin cups coated with nonstick cooking spray two-thirds full. Bake at 350 degrees F for 17-20 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Bacon Wrapped Apricots with Jalapeno
(Can be made up to three days in advance and placed in the refrigerator)
- 16 dried apricot halves
- 2 fresh jalapenos, seeded and cut into 8 strips (you could also use poblano peppers)
- 2 pieces nitrite free bacon or prosciutto, cut each piece in half lengthwise and then cut again horizontally
Preheat oven to 325°F. Place 1 thin slice of jalapeno on top of apricot half. Wrap apricot half with 1 strip of bacon and secure with toothpick. Repeat procedure for remaining 15 apricots. Bake on cookie sheet for approximately 12 minutes. After about 8 minutes turn apricot halves over to allow browning on reverse side. When done, remove apricots from pan and place on paper towel to drain.
Artichoke and Spinach DipIngredients
- 2-14.5 oz cans of artichokes, rinsed, drained and chopped into 1/4 pieces
- 3/4 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained thoroughly
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce (to taste)
Preheat oven to 400° F. In a food processor, pulse to combine all ingredients. You may also choose to mix by hand. Spread into an 8-inch square baking dish that has been lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until heated thoroughly. Serve with whole wheat pita wedges or crudités.
Extra tip: Instead of fat free mayonnaise and light sour cream, you may substitute ½ cup of Fage 0% Greek Yogurt. This substitution will translate into each serving supplying approximately 55 calories and 2.5g fat total fat. For additional nutrition value and color, top this dish with red bell pepper strips.