Saturday was the 2012 Nutrition Seminar presented by Cooper Clinic Nutrition Services. For many of our attendees, their interest is often piqued when a friend tells them about their “great new diet” and the quick results that they’ve experienced. At Cooper we share lots of nutrition-related articles, hoping to help others learn healthy ways to improve their diet. With so many contradictory messages, it’s important to know the facts.
Our amazing team of registered dietitians cleared up the confusion this weekend. They dissected the latest diet trends and offered practical health tips that attendees could walk away with and incorporate into their daily life.
Here are a few takeaways from our rockstar dietitians:
- Some of the most popular foods of 2012 include: salmon, greek yogurt, almonds, green leafy vegetables like kale and berries.
- Gluten free diets are popular right now, but only three million Americans have actually been diagnosed with celiac disease. You should get tested by a dietitian and diagnosed with celiac disease before you make any adjustments to your diet.
- Drink more green tea –Two cups a day can boost your metabolism and reduce caloric intake.
- Is sugar toxic? Likely no, but in excess… problematic and unhealthy!
- Combine a protein, carbohydrate and healthy fat at most meals to sustain energy and curb hunger.
- Eating your favorite foods is part of healthy and sustainable weight loss. (This means you can eat frozen yogurt… in moderation, of course!)
- And one of our personal favorites… a little bit of chocolate never hurts anyone.
Did you also know that you can meet with our dietitians to analyze your diet and develop a personalized plan of action to improve your nutrition? You can click here or call 972.560.2655 for more information.
What’s your favorite healthy food?