Happy National Nutrition Month!
Cooper Clinic kicked off National Nutrition Month® with a free expo open to the public at Cooper Fitness Center. Despite the icy weather, more than 500 people attended and picked up free samples, recipes and more from 20-plus vendors. National Nutrition Month provides a good opportunity to look at your diet. Cooper Clinic and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics put together our top reasons to visit a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist.
- You have diabetes, cardiovascular problems or high blood pressure. A registered dietitian nutritionist serves as an integral part of your health care team by helping you safely change your eating plan without compromising taste or nutrition.
- You need to gain or lose weight. A registered dietitian nutritionist can suggest additional calorie sources for healthy weight gain or a restricted-calorie eating plan.
- You want to eat smart for your family. A registered dietitian nutritionist can help you sort through misinformation; learn how to read food labels; discover that healthy cooking is inexpensive; eat out without ruining your eating plan and more. Cooper Clinic Nutrition Services offers a Healthy Habits for Kids program.
- You have digestive problems. A registered dietitian nutritionist will work with your physician to help fine-tune your diet so you are not aggravating your condition. Kathy Miller, Co-Director of Cooper Clinic Nutrition Services, specializes in GI nutrition and celiac disease.
- You’re pregnant, trying to get pregnant or breastfeeding. A registered dietitian nutritionist can help make sure you’re getting enough of the nutrients you and your baby need.
- You’re caring for an aging parent. A registered dietitian nutritionist can help with food or drug interaction, proper hydration, special diets for hypertension and changing taste buds as you age.
- You want to improve your performance in sports. A registered dietitian nutritionist can help you set goals to achieve results—whether you’re running a marathon, skiing or jogging with your dog. Cooper Clinic Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Meridan Zerner is a board certified sports dietitian.
- Your teenager has issues with food and eating healthfully or you have a picky eater. A registered dietitian nutritionist can assist with eating disorders such as anorexia, bulimia and overweight issues.