Maintain Healthy Skin, No Matter Your Age
Keeping your skin looking and feeling healthy as you age can seem like a complicated, time-consuming and expensive task. However, maintaining good health as you get older can translate into beautiful skin and a confident appearance.
Cooper Clinic Dermatologist Dr. Helen Kaporis recommends using daily sunblock with SPF higher than 30. Sunblock not only reduces the risk of developing skin cancer, but also decreases premature collagen breakdown. We naturally lose one teaspoon of collagen each year in our face, and sunblock helps prevent additional breakdown.
Dr. Kaporis also notes that daily use of antioxidants can help diminish environmental free radicals that cause oxidative stress on skin. Antioxidants such as Obagi Vitamin C Serum or Skinceuticals Phloretin CF Gel Pump are her top recommendations. In addition, tretinoin or retinol can help reverse photo aging, fine lines and dyspigmentation.
Finally, Dr. Kaporis suggests using moisturizers with ceramics, such as Elta MD Lotion or Cerave Cream, on dry skin that develops over time. These products will help lock in moisture and repair damaged skin.
Cooper Spa’s newest esthetician, Andrea Rankin, also shares her own tips that can help you age beautifully:
- Less is best! Too much product will strip your skin of the acid mantle, the skin’s natural protector, and imbalance your pH levels.
- Wash your face both morning and night – and after any workout. Even if you don’t have time to fully shower, use a towelette on your face, neck and back to remove toxins and bacteria. And, if you have time, use a toner to moisturize and protect your skin until you have time to shower.
- Before bed, wash your face properly and use moisturizer for soft and supple skin.
- To support your diet for healthy skin, take Cooper Complete Dermatologic Health to be sure you’re taking in the proper nutrients.
- Exfoliate once a week. Men typically exfoliate as they shave every day, but don’t forget to exfoliate your nose and forehead, too!
Andrea’s favorite age-defying skin care products include:
- SkinCeuticals A.G.E. Interrupter
- Improves skin creping and thinning
- Corrects the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and rough texture
- Restores water and nutrients to improve the appearance of skin elasticity
- Restores comfort to dry, aging skin
- SkinCeuticals A.G.E. Eye Cream
- Helps protect against stress factors and environmental aggressors
- Combats the appearance of puffiness, sagging skin and dark circles
- Supports the skin’s natural hydration
- Suitable for normal, combination and oily aging skin
Focusing on skin care at any age is an important part of keeping your body healthy. Prevention is key – the more you can take care of and protect your skin in your younger years, the less your skin will seem to age in your later years. But remember, it’s never too late to start a skin care routine that will leave you looking and feeling beautiful!