10 Reasons Why Female Focus Benefits Women’s Health
Since 2006, hundreds of women each year have participated in more than 3,000 Female Focus classes, a science-based small group training program designed to help women exercise to gain strength as they manage diseases such as osteoporosis, arthritis, fibromyalgia, heart disease, diabetes and cancer.
The women who have participated in Female Focus throughout the past 10 years listed the top 10 reasons why the program has benefitted both their physical and mental health:
- A sense of accountability to health and fitness and provides motivation to work harder both in and outside of class
- Camaraderie and support of women going through similar challenges and life experiences
- Personal attention from Colette Cole, the director of the program, and other trainers – staff expertise and experience is unmatched
- Improved overall strength, posture, balance, mobility, endurance, functional movement and daily activity movement
- Weight loss and maintenance
- Enjoyment from a variety of fun workouts
- Reduction of injury risk and attention to detail regarding training for specific injuries
- Sessions are personalized for both exercise and nutrition
- Focus on specific women’s health issues, including improvement of bone density
- Stress reduction
The program is based on materials and research from Women’s Health and Fitness Guide written by Michele Kettles, MD, MSPH, Chief Medical Officer of Cooper Clinic, and Colette Cole, MS, Cooper Fitness Center Female Focus Director and Professional Fitness Trainer. Under Colette’s guidance, participants learn how to overcome physical and mental challenges that are often a side effect of health issues.
In addition to learning and growing stronger physically, many of the women are drawn to the program because of the bonds they form with each other. Many are going through similar life changes, such as kids going off to college or becoming caretakers of aging parents. They also face similar challenges and are working toward similar goals – to be healthier and happier.
Dr. Jill Ombrello has participated in Female Focus for the past three years. She joined the program because she wanted the accountability of a scheduled and customized workout. However, she had no idea how many additional benefits she would receive as a result.
“Not only did I gain accountability, but I also joined a community of women looking to improve their health in the same ways as me. We are not equally strong or flexible, but Collette creates a different, unique and interesting workout for us every time we attend. In a society where many women are often competing with one another, Colette has created a unique environment where we all feel supported and pushed to achieve greatness.”
For more information about the Female Focus program, visit cooperfitfemale.com.