What Cooper Fitness Center Sports Pros Love About the Olympics
Every four years, the Olympic Games provide an opportunity to watch the best athletes in the world compete against each other and showcase their incredible skills. Cheering your country on to victory brings about a sense of patriotism and appreciation for physical fitness that is unmatched.
Cooper Fitness Center Sports Pros are no exception–they love the summer and winter Olympics alike, and each of them has special memories of specific games. Learn more about our Pros’ favorite Olympic moments below, and make sure to comment and share your favorite Olympic sports and what you’re most looking forward to seeing take place in Rio this year.
What is your favorite Olympic sport to watch?
- Mike Proctor (Martial Arts Pro): Fencing
- Marni Kerner (Swim Pro): Swimming, kayaking, gymnastics, track and field
- Corey Noel (Assistant Tennis Pro): Tennis, because you get to watch singles and doubles at the same time.
- Coleman Crawford (Basketball Pro): Basketball
- Derrick James (Boxing Pro): Boxing
Who is your all-time favorite Olympic athlete?
- Mike: Rafer Johnson (Track & Field)
- Marni: Michael Johnson (Track & Field) – I got to see him set records at Baylor in the late 1980s.
- Corey: Venus Williams (Tennis)
- Coleman: Jessie Owens (Track & Field)
- Derrick: Muhammad Ali (Boxing)
If you could compete in an Olympic sport, which one would it be?
- Mike: Fencing
- Marni: Cross country skiing (Biathlon)
- Corey: Well, besides tennis…swimming.
- Coleman: Basketball
- Derrick: Boxing
Do you have a favorite Olympic memory?
- Mike: I attended the 1960 Olympics in Rome, where I had the opportunity to meet Rafer Johnson.
- Marni: When Muhammad Ali lit the torch at the 1996 games in Atlanta!
- Corey: 1992 Dream Team. Michael Jordan and those guys were incredible.
- Coleman: 1992 Dream Team. It was the first time all professionals from the United States participated in Olympic basketball.
- Derrick: I went to the 2012 Olympics in London, where one of the boxers I train was competing.
What do you like most about the Olympics?
- Mike: The overall patriotism and positive attitude of athletes and spectators.
- Marni: I love the fact that amateur athletes who have worked so hard have the opportunity to come together to compete, and it’s their chance to perform their best. It’s their time to shine!
- Corey: I like all the patriotism. It’s nice to see the country come together and work together toward a common goal.
- Coleman: The Olympic Games are an opportunity for all countries to compete on a level playing field. The games give athletes a chance to compete against other talented athletes from all over the world, who they may not face in other competitions.
- Derrick: The Olympics are in the name of sports and friendship. It’s the greatest event in the world.
For more information about Cooper Fitness Center’s Sports Pros and sport-specific training, visit cooperfitnesscenter.com/ProZone.