By Kathy Duran-Thal RDN, LD Cooper Clinic Nutrition Services
One of Dr. Cooper’s 8 Steps to Get Cooperized is to make healthy food choices most of the time. The holiday season is often a time of indulgence – delicious homemade meals and desserts are around every corner. Modification is key when it comes to maintaining a healthy weight and keeping healthy habits intact during the holidays. Take a look at the nutritional information for a traditional Thanksgiving meal versus one with lighter options:
A few simple swaps and smaller portions can keep you on track to achieve your health goals while still allowing you to enjoy a traditional Thanksgiving meal. Learn more about preparing for a healthy and happy Thanksgiving here.
For more information about Cooper Clinic Nutrition Services, visit cooperclinicnutrition.com or call 972.560.2655.
The holidays are upon us! In between the hustle and bustle of holiday festivities and pulling together Christmas lists, it can be easy to forget to control our appetites and calories as delicious foods abound in our homes and at parties.
Thanks to our amazing Cooper Wellness and Cooper Clinic dietitians, there are ways to turn your traditional Thanksgiving recipes into a healthy feast for all. Sneak in nutrients along with the decadence in these crowd-pleasing recipes:
- Seven Layer Turkey Casserole
- Marinated Pork Tenderloin
- Cran-Appleberry Sauce
- Green Bean Casserole
- Butternut Squash Casserole
- Sweet Potato Biscuits
- Apple and Sweet Potato Pie
- Red Raspberry Mousse
- Hot Cinnamon Mulling Spice Drink
Don’t forget, a key to fending off holiday weight gain is knowing that the secret of healthy eating is all about moderation, not deprivation.
If you’d like to learn more about the secrets to a healthy Thanksgiving, join Cooper Clinic Registered Dietitian Cindy Kleckner in her upcoming culinary demonstration, “Tweaking the Turkey Tradition.” Click here to register.
- What exactly is heart rate monitoring? Cooper Fitness Center's Ryan Sheppard explains. #CooperHeartHealth ow.ly/HFa2309n1dw 14 minutes ago
- Our Beautiful Fit Vanilla Tangerine Lotion pampers with a blend of vanilla & tangerine. On sale while supplies last! ow.ly/Y0yx309lT59 20 hours ago
- Stop by @dfwchild's Camp Fair today at @hockadayschool to learn about our year-round fitness options for kids!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 23 hours ago
- Visited Cooper Hotel lately? Check out our newly renovated guest rooms in this virtual tour. #staywell ow.ly/2vNM309kHg4 1 day ago
- #TBT to Dr. Cooper performing a treadmill stress test on a patient in the early days of Cooper Aerobics Center.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Aerobic vs. Cardiovascular Exercise
- Can Canned Soup Be Healthy?
- Treadmill Stress Test at Cooper Clinic
- Podcast: Jorn Dyerberg, MD, the Father of the Omega-3 Movement, Interviewed
- Get Chummy with Cheese
- How Does Your Glass of Milk Stack Up?
- A Dietitian's Look: Whataburger's "Under 550-Calorie" Menu
- NEW! Teen TRX at Cooper Fitness Center
- The Skinny on Burger Nutrition: Go Lean!
- Meet Our Bloggers