Home > Cooper Updates > How far would you walk for french fries?

How far would you walk for french fries?

French fries are a popular option at restaurants around the world. While delicious, the crispy pieces of potato can pack a hefty amount of calories and carbohydrates.

FrenchFriesDid you know a small order of french fries could set you back about 230 calories? That number might be enough for you to give up french fries forever. However, that’s likely not the case.

Cooper Clinic advocates the 80/20 rule: 80 percent of the time you should eat clean and healthy. The other 20 percent of the time, give yourself freedom to enjoy some of your favorite comfort foods or treats.

If you like to indulge from time to time, you’ll want to read the chart below. Our Cooper Clinic registered dietitian nutritionists have calculated the calories, carbs, fat and protein in small, medium and large orders of french fries.From there, they’ve broken down how many minutes you would have to walk in order to burn off the calories. The answers may surprise you.

Size of Fries Calories Carbs

(grams)

Fat

(grams)

Protein

(grams)

Minutes walking for women Minutes walking for men
Small 230 29 11 3 51 39
Medium 340 44 16 4 75 58
Large 510 66 24 7 113 86

 

The walking calculations are based on a 4 mph/pace, which is a very brisk walk.

The calorie expenditure for women in the chart is based on:

  • Age: 40
  • Height: 5’5″
  • Weight: 130 lbs.

The calorie expenditure for men in the chart is based on:

  • Age: 40
  • Height: 5’10”
  • Weight: 170 lbs.

Below, you’ll also discover the nutritional difference between fries you can find in the freezer section at the grocery store, sweet potato fries and homemade fries.

FrenchFryInfographic-01

 

Categories: Cooper Updates
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: